You've been to those tired old family reunions before, where everyone crams into one hot house or even hotter back yard. The crazy uncle fires up the grill and burns everything, and the older folks sit around and talk about how the kids have grown. Nothing wrong with it, and there's something to be said for family tradition. But sometimes you need to mix it up.
It's time to do what thousands of families have discovered over the years: Take the family reunion on the road to sunny Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. With so many great family activities to choose from, even the most diverse family tree can find something they love to do in Myrtle Beach, and it's a wonderful way for extended families to make fond memories.
Of course, coordinating a family gathering at the beach can seem like a daunting task, especially when you have family members spread out all over the country. But the whole process can be made easier by picking a mutually agreeable date and booking your function at the Caribbean Resort & Villas in Myrtle Beach – the ideal seaside retreat for families of all sizes. Here are a few factors to consider when planning the perfect family reunion on the Myrtle Beach oceanfront:
* Accommodations: Finding the right hotel or resort to suit your extended family is critical. Because you are sure to have parties of varying sizes, you need a resort with a wide range of accommodations. Look no farther than the Caribbean Resort & Villas, which is made up of four different buildings featuring numerous layouts and floor plans. Better yet, there are multiple gathering places to hold family functions, like the spacious oceanfront pool deck and tanning lawn, the indoor and outdoor water parks, and, last but not least, the beach. The Caribbean Resort has something for everyone.
* Activities: Like all extended families, they don't always agree. That's the beauty of holding the event in Myrtle Beach: Some can go shopping while others go fishing, or golfing, or any number of watersports activities. The key to a successful family reunion is making sure everyone has a good time in smaller groups while still coming together as one for family events. Guests at the Caribbean Resort can visit Broadway at the Beach or the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk, both located within 1 mile from the property, or stroll the beach, the Boulevard or the nearby Golden Mile stretch of historic beach homes.
* Food: Think about the amount of food your family consumes at the average family reunion, then multiply it by the numbers of days you plan to stay times three meals a day. The best way is to handle it is to assign each household that RSVPs a list of items to bring – from breakfast and lunch items to paper plates and plastic cups. This takes the burden off the organizers and lends itself to quality time as the extended family gathers for meal time. There are also several fine-dining restaurants in the neighborhood, such as Sea Captain's House and New York Prime, that offer rooms for private functions.
* Games: Family reunions often turn into the Family Olympics, featuring good-natured competition and bragging rights in backyard sports and games. Whether its corn hole, horseshoes or a big beach volleyball game, Myrtle Beach provides the perfect playground. Talk to the Caribbean Resort's golf packages for a group golf outing at one of Myrtle Beach's many award-winning courses, or book a deep-sea fishing charter and battle to see who boats the biggest fish. Pick up a few prizes to give to the winners at an end-of-the-week ceremony.
* Sightseeing: As much fun as your extended family will have at the Caribbean Resort and the surrounding area, there's something to be said for taking a day trip to explore all the area has to offer. Schedule a tour of Brookgreen Gardens or a boat trip down the Intracoastal Waterway. For a less formal gathering, catch a bus or van to Broadway at the Beach, The Market Common or the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk for a fun day or night of shopping, dining, live music and entertainment.
Now all that’s left to do is pick a date and pick a resort, and the latter step is easy. The Caribbean Resort & Villas provide the ultimate venue for the ultimate family reunion. We look forward to hosting you and your extended family for a memorable Myrtle Beach getaway.