Sign up for the latest news and e-deals from Caribbean Resort and you'll be entered to win a 3-Night stay!
Receive the best money saving deals in Myrtle Beach!
One of the worst things to do while you are vacationing in Myrtle Beach is to go to a movie theater. Unless you are from a small town that has no theaters, why spend your precious time and money in Myrtle Beach doing the same thing you can do back home?
But there are a few exceptions, like the "Movies Under the Stars" series at Market Common. For starters, it's free and open to the public, so that will save you valuable money for your vacation budget for other attractions and entertainment option during the week.
Another reason to check out the "Movies Under the Stars" series is the movie selection. No first-run flicks that are inappropriate for the whole family. Market Common shows family-friendly classics from the 1980s and '90s, movies parents saw as a child and can now share with their kids.
But best of all is the fun family atmosphere. Guests bring blankets and beach chairs and stretch out under the stars to see the movies and more. Arrive early to claim a good spot and let the kids play in the park, have a picnic dinner at the nearby covered shelters, or go out for dinner and shop at Market Common before sundown about 8:45 p.m.
That's when the lights go down and the movie comes on the big screen that is set up in Grand Park. Buy some popcorn, cold drinks and other refreshments and enjoy all the good things about watching a movie together as a family without the steep prices and sticky floors. Here's a look at this year's lineup for the "Movie Under the Stars" series:
* July 3, "ET": This Steven Spielberg classic has stood the test of time. Share the wonder of the movie with your kids in this close encounter of a different kind.
* July 10, "Hook": Remember the comedic magic of the late Robin Williams in this hilarious tale on the high seas.
* July 17, "Frozen": This more recent family favorite is the perfect way to cool off on a hot summer night.
* July 24, "How the Grinch Stole Christmas": Get into the holiday spirit in the middle of the summer with this classic retelling of the Dr. Seuss story.
* August 7, "Up": This animated movie, Disney/Pixar's first to earn a Best Picture nomination, is perfect for both kids and kids at heart.
* August 14, "Finding Nemo": This animated film never gets old. Help track down Nemo in this adventure flick.
* August 21, “An American Tail”: Here’s a family favorite your kids probably haven’t seen yet, as mice tell the story of a trans-Atlantic voyage to the new world.
* August 28, “Beetlejuice”: Here’s another 1980s classic for adults and kids. Michael Keaton stars as the freakishly loveable ghost.
Market Common isn't the only place on the Grand Strand where you can catch a movie outdoors. The "Movies at McLean" monthly series is held at McLean Park in North Myrtle Beach. The movies get under way at 15 minutes after sunset, about 8:45 p.m. bring a chair or blanket and enjoy popcorn and more while catching these flicks:
* July 10, "The Lego Movie": The toys you played with as kids come to life in this animated adventure favorite.
* August 14, "Cinderella": Disney remade this classic fairy tale with modern special effects but the same happily-ever-after ending.
* October 9, "Paddington": Come see the movie about the bear who took London, and eventually the U.S., by storm.