Each year, proud Americans nationwide mark the 4th of July by gathering with family and friends, donning their red, white and blue attire, and celebrating our nation’s birthday with parties, picnics, patriotic parades, barbecues, and — perhaps the most memorable element of Independence Day — fireworks displays!
And on the Grand Strand, not only can each of the above be found in abundance, but all are arguably just a little better here than in the typical environment, for a few reasons. First, when the summer weather heats up, we’ve got an entire ocean to jump in to cool off. Second, the wide range of fun activities and attractions in the Myrtle Beach area offers something for everyone, with choices that can add more excitement the holiday weekend for visitors both young and old. And lastly, let’s face it — is there a better way to watch the 4th of July fireworks than with your toes in the sand as the night sky lights up above the crashing ocean waves?
Of course, while there’s plenty to do on the Grand Strand all summer long, the schedule of events really ramps up for summer’s biggest holiday weekend. If you and your vacation crew are lucky enough to find yourself in the Myrtle Beach area for July 4 weekend this year, be sure to check out one (or more) of these fun and patriotic events and celebrations while you’re here:
- Independence Day 5K and 1 Mile Races: Held at the Market Common shopping/dining/recreation district in Myrtle Beach on the morning of July 4, these races allow participants to get their holiday off to a running start with a pair of competitive events that begin at 7:30 a.m. The start and finish lines can be found at Valor Park in the heart of the Market Common complex.
- Salute From the Shore: Hit the beach in your red, white and blue starting at 1 p.m. on Thursday, July 4, to see the 10th annual presentation of this event, which includes flyovers by vintage and military aircraft that will stretch the span of South Carolina’s Atlantic shoreline.
- 4th of July Fireworks Extravaganza at Broadway at the Beach: This shopping/dining/entertainment hot spot in Myrtle Beach gets even hotter on Independence Day, as the skies over Lake Broadway will light up with a fireworks display at 10 p.m. (weather permitting) on the Fourth of July. Bonus: Additional fireworks shows are scheduled for Tuesday, July 2, and Friday, July 5, with each starting at 10 p.m.
- Barefoot Landing Fireworks: North Myrtle Beach shopping/dining/entertainment complex Barefoot Landing will also present a Fourth of July fireworks show, with the skies alongside the Intracoastal Waterway and over the attraction’s 27-acre lake lighting up at 10 p.m.
- Cherry Grove Pier Fireworks: The fireworks show launched from North Myrtle Beach’s Cherry Grove pier will begin around 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, July 4. Spectators can grab a spot on the beach to watch the show.
- July 4th on the MarshWalk: Home to the Grand Strand’s largest aerial fireworks show, this annual celebration on Murrells Inlet’s MarshWalk sees the sky filled with bursts of red, white, blue for 20 minutes starting at 10 p.m. on the evening of July 4. Earlier in the day, the annual Murrells Inlet Boat Parade starts at noon and will bring a long line of decorated boats to the inlet for a patriotic floating spectacle. Plus, before the fireworks show starts, live music will be presented at a number of the MarshWalk restaurants. So get there early to relax with a delicious meal and a drink or two before the main event!
- Pawleys Island 4th of July Parade: Locals and visitors alike parade through Pawleys Island on makeshift floats during this fun community event. The celebration sees golf carts, cars, trucks, boats, bicycles, marchers and more get decorated in the nation’s colors and parade through the town. The patriotic fun gets started at 10 a.m.
- Brookgreen Summer Music Festival: At Murrells Inlet’s Brookgreen Gardens, evening concerts under the oaks are staged throughout the summer at Azalea Concert Field. The concerts are free with garden admission, and are scheduled during the holiday week for 7-9 p.m. on Wednesday, July 3, Thursday, July 4, Friday, July 5, and Saturday, July 6.
- Music on Main Concert Series: Held at the Horseshoe in North Myrtle Beach, this series of Thursday-night shows will feature variety/dance act Tru Sol on Thursday, July 4, starting at 7 p.m.
After celebrating an Independence Day that’s sure to sizzle on the Grand Strand, head back to the comfortable oceanfront accommodations and wide range of amenities at Caribbean Resort & Villas to rest up for more Myrtle Beach area fun. Book your Fourth of July getaway today — and start planning an unforgettable and patriotic celebration on the Carolina coast!