Sign up for the latest news and e-deals from Caribbean Resort and you'll be entered to win a 3-Night stay!
Receive the best money saving deals in Myrtle Beach!
If your family gatherings and friendly get-togethers are like most, it doesn't take long for the affair to turn competitive. That's why badminton nets and croquet sets are fixtures at so many family reunions, and why so many friendships are forged in horseshoe pits and on basketball courts. Friends and families make memories while seeing who can win vacation bragging rights.
The spirit of friendly competition doesn't take a vacation, especially when you're visiting Myrtle Beach. Thanks to the sand, ocean and all the other great things the Caribbean Resort & Villas has to offer, some of the games do change, the standbys often replaced with games you can find only on the beach. Whether you prefer to compete in the sand, out at sea or on the links, there are plenty of family and group activities your whole party can enjoy:
* Beach volleyball: Here's a sport nearly everyone in your group can get involved in. Although the official rules call for 2-against-2, you can easily play 8-against-8 or more so no one gets too tired and everyone can feel a part of the team regardless of age or ability. It's also a great way to make new friends as you recruit others to join in the action. There are beach volleyball courts for pick-up play located up and down the beach, but official courts are located on the Myrtle Beach Boardwalk at Ninth Avenue North. Serious players can join in tournaments and head-to-head play at this venue.
* Cornhole tournament: The game that became a tailgate sensation has also found a home on the beach, which is the perfect venue for tossing the old beanbags. For the uninitiated, cornhole involves throwing bean bags at a slightly angled wooden platform with a small hole as a target, and points are awarded for shots that land on the board or go through the hole. The game involves two teams of two people, but a tournament allows teams to battle it out until just one team is left standing. If you don't have a cornhole set, there are several beach bars with nice setups overlooking the ocean.
* Fishing: One of the best things about fishing is the race to see who can catch the first, most and biggest. As if the age-old battle of man vs. fish wasn't thrilling enough, the angler vs. angler aspect only adds to the enjoyment. Take your group for a fun day of fishing aboard a charter boat, on a fishing pier or even directly from the beach. Usually the contest ends in a seafood dinner in which no one really remembers or cares who caught what.
* Golf: Myrtle Beach is the perfect place for group golf outings. With more than 80 championship courses on the Grand Strand, including over a dozen within a 10-mile radius of the Caribbean, your foursome or larger group can tee it up for a tournament. Ask our golf professionals about the best package rates and greens fees in town, and get your group together for a friendly scramble. More serious players can get involved in a wide range of amateur events offered by local courses, and less serious golfers can get the family together for a round of putt-putt. Our Sun Fun Rewards program offers guests one free round at two local mini-golf layouts.
* Sand-castle building contest: If all that physical activity sounds too grueling for a relaxing vacation, you can still enjoy some friendly competition. One popular beach activity is sand-castle building, and lots of beach-goers try to construct ones that turn heads. Try splitting your group in two and holding a contest for the best sand castle or other sculpture. Of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so it's best to appoint an impartial judge to award the big prize.
After the games end and the unwinding begins, kick back and relax at the Caribbean with a nice dip in the hot tub, float down the lazy river or zip down our waterslides. It's a good way to take a break after all the heated competition, and a great way to spend your Myrtle Beach vacation. We think you will find that the Caribbean Resort is the ultimate place to stay and play.